Welcome Gentle Readers

This blog tends to wander from its main purpose -- updates on my fiction. I do have updates and excerpts of my work. But I also write about my obsessions -- food, friends and pop culture and my weird life in Los Angeles. Enjoy!

Sunday, March 09, 2008

Book and Film Updates and Rants

Warning: If you find yourself here via a google search for such things as TV shows or films, recipes or cities, this blog has some facts. However, this blog is one author’s very twisted musing on many weird things. It is sometimes graphic in content. If you read on, don’t write to yell at me.


I’m more scatter-brained than normal. Daylight savings has me thrown off. Then, there was that last martini at The Gunslinger gathering. It was free, how could I refuse? I’m not hung over, but I got a late start and there were a lot of photos to process from last night. No, none are compromising. We were at a family restaurant. Drat! Pics are up on my Myspace page under pics.

Gunslinger Update
Aside from the raucous wrap-type gathering last night, there are a few to report. Jon is closed to finishing the refined cut of the trailer. After that, it goes to get the sound and music added. We look on track to debut in April. It will be on the Hidden Passions Myspace page. And I will be putting up links and lots of info when it’s up. Jon is pulling some yummy screen caps for me this afternoon. I’ll post them later today or late tonight. It depends on how well he responds to my nagging. We are certain enough of a green light for the feature version that we’re making plans for crewing up and beginning to figure out the logistics of the shoot. It’s starting to get very exciting.

I definitely have to finish my new book and publish the two that are waiting in the pipeline by mid-April, because we won’t be able to devote any time to Sybaritic Press stuff for months after that.

Pop Culture Rant
This week, the reviews for 10,000 BC received reviews that included words like dunder-headedness and craptitude. I love words like this. They aren’t used often enough. Alas, the film that critics eviscerated with such glee was the number one film at the box office this week. Doesn’t surprise me. CSI:Miami is purported to be the number one show in the world. Go figure. This brings me to the newest installment of What DO you like? I’ve run across some inspired lunacy that I’d like to pass along. Some of it is even family friendly. Jon found this website. It is Spongebob frivolity at it’s finest. Spongebob: The Movie is really a lot of fun. It has lines like ‘And I rode the Hasselhoff.’ You have to love that. Even my cynical pal Craig (of the one legged cricket) liked this film. Another pair of films we love is The Ladykillers, the Alec Guiness Version and the Tom Hanks Version though the 2004 version is a bit racier. And a trip through Youtube (always dangerous) and found my favorite clip from a wonderfully over the top musical, Gypsy. It’s the lead up and whole number for You’ve Gotta Get a Gimmick, and it’s absolutely wonderful. I love those broads. In fact, I used one of the characters, Mazeppa, from that scene as a slash pseudonym. By the way, the women in Gypsy, Gypsy Rose Lee and Dainty June were real people. Another, more fanciful film about them was Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?.



A Soldier’s Fate Excerpt
I couldn’t post it last week, and it looks doubtful this week. Jon is still editing The Gunslinger trailer. He should be finished his phase of things in the next few days. I can post it then. Meanwhile, the book is racing towards completion. I should make my date in April. And it’s looking more and more like there will be a live action trailer for the new book. I really like the actor I’ve found for Vincent. I really like his eyes. He’s pretty without the long blond hair. I’ll have to renew my search for a Rik. I’m really happy about the new book. It took some turns I wasn’t expecting. There is certainly a surprise at the end. More on that (no spoilers, promise)

Caption Contest

This time, there were almost a dozen responses. One I liked was 'MY what big confetti they throw here.’ I gave it extra kudos for being a quote from After the Thin Man, one of my favorite films. However, I think the best one for the illustration was:

'They say there's never a cop around when you need one! Why do you think I carry my own!'

Thanks for playing. I don’t have a new illustration this week. I’ve seen some good candidates, so perhaps I’ll have another contest next week.

No comments: