Welcome Gentle Readers

This blog tends to wander from its main purpose -- updates on my fiction. I do have updates and excerpts of my work. But I also write about my obsessions -- food, friends and pop culture and my weird life in Los Angeles. Enjoy!

Saturday, August 01, 2009

Unscheduled Blog with Writer's Musings and a Blood Oath Preview

Warning: If you find yourself here via a google search for such things as TV shows or films, recipes or cities, this blog has some facts. However, this blog is one author’s very twisted musing on many weird things. It is sometimes graphic in content. If you read on, don’t write to yell at me.

Blood Oath Update

As I mentioned in an earlier blog, I fired myself as the artist for the Blood Oath Manga panels that will appear in the Pilot presentation. We found a wonderful replacement. His name is Dennis Lo, and he does Manga for a living. We'll have a bio on him up on or various pages shortly. For now, I'm giving a sneek peek of the panels he's finished for the web page. They'll be up full sized by tomorrow's regularly scheduled blog. Oh, the things that are going on. But that is for tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I find that all of this interweb connectedness has an incredibly awkward side. Those who know the writer me know that I don't shy from talking about my passions. I like the notion of a romance between beautiful men. I like writing erotica with no profound message behind it. I take my mutant soldiers in love as seriously as the memoir about my mother I'm writing. And I find reading that sort of prose as valid and enlightening as reading any of the literary lions (if it's written well, of course). After all, Hemingway enjoyed D.H. Lawrence's The Prussian Officer , though that was far from a romance. It was a lurid, disturbing perversion of all the kinky things I like reading and writing. Actually, I feel that way about most of Lawrence's work. Where was I? Oh, yes, serious writing. I had a similar conversation about what is and isn't worthwhile in writing with William Goldman while I was in grad school. He was speaking at our Creative Writing School, then we took him out to a cheap dive for cheap beer as was the tradition of our class. He lamented the possibility of his work disappering with his passing because it wasn't literature. I told him that what is considered literature changes with each generation of critics and professors. A lot of what is deemed literature now once was pop culture. Since working at the archive, I've discovered lauded writers who had dozens of novels or poetry collections along with reams and reams written on their work that have disappeared completely from everyon'e canon of great works. There are quite a number of serious dissertations on Star Trek. The UN had a panel featuring Battlestar Galactica. I'm at peace with who I am and where my creative bent leads me.

And then I joined Facebook. And while a lot of people in the industry have found me and fans of my work have found me, people from my past have found me. I give fair warning on my profile page that my interests have mutated since Catholic High School. And I've found my voice after Grad School, and that voice isn't interested in being the next Toni Morrison (though I still enjoy reading her). And still, despite all my confidence, I found myself hesitating to post the Manga because it contained a kiss between men. Extraordinary. then, I mentally slapped myself, reminded myself that the page was for promoting the new works as much as it was for connecting with old friends and that my friends needed to know the real me, kinks and all.

Without Further ado:




See the full sized pages at the Blood Oath Website and hear some voice clips sometime tonight or tomorrow. I'll make another announcement when it's up at http://bloodathseries.com.

No comments: