Welcome Gentle Readers

This blog tends to wander from its main purpose -- updates on my fiction. I do have updates and excerpts of my work. But I also write about my obsessions -- food, friends and pop culture and my weird life in Los Angeles. Enjoy!

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Kitchen Fame and Book Fair Shout Out

I had an interesting thing happen this morning that tickled me. The incident didn't begin as anything amusing at all. I noticed that the tub was a quarter full of water hours after Jon had his shower. I also noticed that there was a lot of metal scraping and a rumbling motor noise coming from the apartment next to ours. The last time that happened, we had a plumbing snake that came through the drain, reached the floor, then headed down our hall! Still, I had a lot of work to do, and couldn't still about idly until the plumber showed up. I had finished shaping a batch of pretzels and moved onto the croissants when there was a knock at the door. It was the plumber. I let him in and turned on the video I was using to make the croissants. I was at the part where the butter is pounded and rolled into an 8 inch square. After I finished, I heard the plumber say, 'It looks like the one on TV.' He'd never seen anything like it. He managed to see me make the basic dough and put it in the fridge. “You should be on the TV,” he said as he left. I was very flattered and quite tickled. But if I were a TV chef, I couldn't do all of that cursing! I was so amused that I didn't mind the really dirty tube he left behind as much as I might have.

Book Fair Beats

Now, I must make with the promoting! At last, the week of the West Hollywood Book Fair is here! We are so incredibly excited, because we all of our books were delivered in time! No waiting and hoping any praying that we might possibly have them by Friday. I almost don't know what to do with myself. Almost. I still have a lot of work to do with creating promo materials and baking goodies for the booth and the raffle. I fell like my life is partially on hold until this is over. I'm doing a Michael Corleone with 'After the Book Fair, all my businesses will be put in order.' I can't edit any of the recent videos. And forget about working on the webseries or any of the other projects. The only thing I can make an exception for is the editing gig for Digital Manga. I signed a contract, so I have to stay on top of all of that.

Sypress in the Park will be at booth C23 at the West Hollywood Book Fair. We are in the poetry section next to the culinary stage (how cool is that placement). We're nearest the West Hollywood Public Library's entrance. The Book Fair opens at 10am and closes at 6pm. We'll be there the whole day though if you're looking for any one of us in particular, you may have to hang out a bit. We're all big ol' book nerds, and we really enjoy shopping there. So, one of us is always manning the booth with the authors while the others do their shopping or check out a panel. Did I mention the panels? They are awesome for readers or writers! Check out the web page for a map of the booths and a full schedule of the panels http://www.westhollywoodbookfair.org/ . But you aren't in Los Angeles and want to get in on the fun? We have just the thing for you! For the duration of the Book Fair and for our convention appearances until the end of the year, there is a sale of selected titles from Sybaritic Press. They will cost what we charge at the Book Fair AND those prices include shipping and sales tax! Just go to this page http://sybpress.com/bookfairsale.htm and go nuts. We accept VISA, Mastercharge, Discover and Paypal. This is also true at the booth where we also accept cash! For those who can't make it, we will have photos and video of all of the fun.

On that note, I must sign off. I have a lot of work to do, and I'm running out of time to do it.

Stay tuned!

No comments: